It is OK to be the nice guy until you’re turned into the door mat. You know the feeling; it is like you have lost control and you find yourself doing everything for everybody without any help from all those loving family members you treasure. But for some reason they think you are their servant!
It hurts and you want it to stop. Well, this can sometimes take desperate measures and you have to be up to the task. If you are at your ropes end, have had enough and tired of the foot prints on your back side use these tips and stop the traffic down your spine and grow a spine. Only you can stop this.
Start by letting everyone know what goes and what doesn’t.
1. Thank You: Every time you do something for that family member, look at them and say, “Thank you is nice and I am waiting for mine.” Don’t move until they say “thank you.” If they start walking away say, “Excuse me you forgot the “Thank You.”
2. Stop picking up after everyone: Family members get use to this and you are not teaching them anything when you are always picking up after them. They have 2 hand and feet, just as you do.
3. When it comes to the little ones and their toys: get a box or garbage bag out and start putting their stuff in the box or bag. Tell them, “You want your stuff back you will do something for me.” End of story!
4. As for older kids and hubby: If it is eating and they don’t take their dirty plate or glass out and put them in the dish washer start buying paper plates and plastic utensils. Let them know that you will start using the real thing again when they grow up and start placing them where they belong when they are through. (You may have to box up the real thing, so they can’t help themselves to them)
I know you are saying that they will just leave the paper and plastic sitting around; good go get some fake ants, roaches, or spiders and start placing them in those area. Let them know you are through picking up after them and this is what is going to happen if they don’t start. (Might want to throw a few fake bugs in their bed just for the fun of it.)
5. Clothes and kids bedrooms: If the clothes aren’t in the laundry basket they don’t get washed. Never make the bed that is there job. If it never gets made throw in a few of the fake critters you bought. Don’t forget to unscrew the light bulb and close the door. This way if a visitor opens the door in the evening; they can’t see the mess.
6. Cooking: Teach the kids how to cook and clean after the meal. Someday their spouses will love you for it. Pick a night every week when that person will help you cook. This will help them and you and be fun at the same time. They will learn to appreciate what you do.
Cleaning: Everyone is responsible their space.
Now for Dad going to work: I know that your hard work during the day can be overlooked. If you are being taken for granted, cut off the funds, to the kids or even little lady if she is taken you for grant, that nice dress she has been wanting, she may not get.
This door does swing both ways. We have to appreciate all the wonderful people in our family.
Never take anyone for granted, because tomorrow they may not be there for one reason or another.
One last thing if all of these ideas aren’t working, you can always go on strike. Just sit around and do your own thing like everyone else in the family.