Are you finding it tough to be a parent in today world?
It is like a competitive sport…
And everybody is watching everybody…
With all the advice, because of modern day technology how are you to know what is the right way to parent and the wrong way.
When you Google parenting you start with this…
The home of Parenting and BabyTalk Magazines with information on many topics on being a parent.
Pregnancy – Top 10 Baby Boy Names – Pregnancy Week by Week – Child Behavior
When you arrive at this site be ready and prepared to do a lot of clicking…
- Child behavior charts
- Children behavior problems along with making healthy food.
And the list goes on….
By the time you get through studying this material your kiddo maybe off to college or in the slammer.
That is just the first site when you Google parenting. What more would you want after all?
OK here is another site… on Love and Logic.
You’ll find everything from Parenting curriculum to Becoming a Love and Logic Parent curriculum.
- Avoid un-winnable power-struggles and arguments
- Stay calm when their kids do incredibly upsetting things
- Set enforceable limits
- Avoid enabling and begin empowering
- Help their kids learn from mistakes rather than repeating them
- Raise kids who are family members rather than dictators and much more
I’m not saying that they don’t have some good advice, but how much time do you really have to study all this material?
So how do you raise a kid in these days of Modern Day parenting?
All kids are different and have their own personalities…
Can someone really tell you how to raise your kids?
Not so much, because…
- Your kid is different from another kid, even their siblings.
- Your kid is going to perceive a situation different than another kid.
- Some kids are born leaders…
- Other kids are followers.
- Some kids learn things the hard way while others are quick learners.
NO 2 people are alike…
You may be having trouble with your kid throwing a fit at the age of 2, but that doesn’t mean what works for the neighbors kid is going to work for yours to stop this behavior.
Yes, it is good to listen and learn from others, but remember they are all different little people and react differently.
One of my kids I could talk to…
Another one not so much, but a good pop on the bum worked darn well. (When it comes to that I always had my rules, 3 pops were enough, more than that it was for me to feel better, not get the kids attention.)
Use some common sense and get to know your kid and you are going to learn what works and what doesn’t work.
I’m not here to teach you how to raise your kids…
I’m here to tell you not to let everyone else tell you how to raise them, but use your God given common sense instead of Google or Facebook.
These people just want to make money off of you and make you feel like a loser when it comes to being a parent.
So when do you know that you are reading too many parenting post or books?
1. Your kid still is misbehaving and its get worse…
2. Your kid is ruling your house, not you…
3. Your kid is having trouble at preschool or school and nothing is working you have gotten out of a book…
4. Your kid is unhappy…
5. Your kid is doing everything he or she can do to get your attention….
6. Last of all you as a parent are just wore out trying to be the perfect parent and can never remember all the careful words you are supposed to use when dealing with your cute little one.
You ask, “What next?”
Find a safe place and burn all the parenting book….
Look at your kid and say…
NOW WE ARE GOING TO DO IT MY WAY!
Go back to being you and teaching your kid YOUR values.
- ‘Use your inside voice.’
- Complements and thank you for everything they do.
- Giving them choices for everything instead of “this is the way it is”.
Kids are shooting each other, because parents aren’t parenting anymore…
They are listening to all the so called experts that probable don’t even have kids.
Come on ladies and gentlemen let’s get real about this parenting thing…
Your parents didn’t have all this parenting advice from strangers that really don’t give a rats %^& anyway and you came out OK.
(Maybe you had to make some small adjustment.)
You are good parents and have lots of good common sense, don’t let Google take that away from you and make you a victim of bad parenting.
Are you a Google or Facebook parent or do you parent your way?
Opinions please, just drop them in the box below.
Thanks for sharing your view on parenting. It is always appreciated.
P.S. If you like this please share it. I am counting on you.