When it comes to raising kids you really don’t know what you are going to end up with in 20 years unless you are paying close attention..
Yes, there are times when you want to start all over, but there is NO rewind button when it comes to raising kids.
Kids are going to end up being the joy of your life or your worst nightmare, depending on your parenting.
Here are 5 tips in raising kids so they don’t end up being your worst nightmare.
1. Don’t try to buy your kids. When you think that things are going to make them happy and well balanced, you have your head were it doesn’t belong. You have to love them and guide them on a daily bases.
2. Don’t try to keep up with the neighbors kids. Parents really get caught up with this one. “So and so has this, mom, dad can’t I have it?” This is teaching your kid that they have to be like someone else rather than being whom or what they are meant to be. Besides you can go into deep debt trying to keep up with all the JONES in the world. Remember someday you do want to retire.
3. Thinking your kid has to be the most popular in school. Popularity is really over rated. Look back at your own school years; those popular kids didn’t amount to much when they became adult. Why, because they were use to everyone catering to them and never learned to survive in the real world.
4. Totally trusting your kid. Yes, we need to trust them, but only to a point. Parents always have to stay one step ahead of their kid. If you believe everything your kid tells you, they may end up as a pathological liar.
5. Making excuses for your kid. Some parents have a habit of making excuses for their kids. ‘The teacher is picking on them’. ‘The other kids don’t like them because…’ It ends up where nothing is ever your kid’s fault… it is always someone else’s. What in the heck are you teaching your kid? They never have to take responsibility. Too bad for you, you’ll end up having them live with you forever, so don’t think you can use their bedroom for something else.
Our kid’s become whom and what we teach them to be.
Wouldn’t it be better for them and you if you taught them…
- How to work hard and have goals
- Know that in life there are always boundaries.
- Respect for themselves and others.
What it comes down to is this…
If you don’t want to end up supporting these adorable little babies the rest of your life teach them…kindness, love, values, morals, appreciation, hard work, boundaries, and respect.
After reading this are you wishing for that rewind button or do you get to retire someday, because you did one hell of a good job when it comes to raising your kids?